IT Internship in Cambridge, U.K for a Technology Company
Industry - Technology
Due to Brexit, we are currently only able to support applications from candidates who are already eligible to work and live in the UK. This might also include individuals who are currently under the Tier 4 study visa scheme. Therefore, you will automatically be deselected if this requirement isn’t met.
2017 Software Intern - Media Processing Group (3 months)
We are looking for highly motivated software enthusiasts to join one of ARM’s embedded software teams in the Media Processing Group. We have positions in our driver development team. See http://malideveloper.arm.com for the coolness that we create.
What will I be accountable for?
ARM's Media Processing Group has various Embedded Software teams. Our work covers many disparate disciplines, but if you have an interest in doing software close to the multimedia hardware, then this is the role for you.
As an intern you will work alongside experienced engineers within one of the development teams in the Media Processing Group. Interns will be given real project tasks and will be supported by experienced engineers.
Examples of project tasks are:
- developing high quality, high performance software for ARM’s advanced architectures, CPUs, GPUs, system IP, and integrated sub-systems.
- collaborating with ARM’s hardware development teams to produce the best long term hardware+software system solutions.
- contributing to the continuous improvement of ARM’s techniques and methodologies.
Get a flavour here: http://malideveloper.arm.com/
What skills, experience and qualifications do I need?
• Studying for a University degree in Computer Science or other relevant degree subject
• Competent coder including significant extra-curricular programming
• A passion for embedded computing that goes beyond your studies
• A creative and structured approach to problem-solving
• Knowledge of C and/or C++, and a basic understanding of the compilation process
• Comfortable communicating within a small team
• A desire for learning and self-improvement
• An appreciation of how and why version control software is useful
• Evidence of open source project interaction or contribution
• Knowledge or experience of some of:
o Operating system kernel or drivers
o Application development
o 3D or GPGPU APIs
o Device drivers
• An appreciation of some of the ways in which computer architectures differ
• Knowledge of other languages, such as shell, Perl, Python, Java, or any assembly
What are the desired behaviours for this role?
ARM is proud to have a set of behaviours that differentiate our talent in the marketplace. These are embedded in all our roles and applicants are encouraged to evidence their attitudes/behaviours as part of the application process:
- Operates effectively and openly in teams and shares both knowledge and success with others
- Builds strong and lasting relationships based on mutual trust
- Actively seeks out and encourages alternative viewpoints and ideas
- Applies critical thinking to select the best way forward
- Demonstrates a positive attitude in gaining insight from team experiences and is receptive to feedback
- Is passionate about the success of others and actively provides support for their development
- Listens and explores alternative perspectives before carefully shaping work that will deliver impactful results
- Persuades rather than pushes when influencing colleagues
- Acts with a thoughtful sense of urgency
- Demonstrates a helpful, can-do attitude
- Thinks and acts in the best interests of our customers and partners
- Strives to achieve win-win outcomes for ARM and our customers
Benefits and Rewards
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. ARM’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Award
- Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
- Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
- Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
- Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
- Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
ARM® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving ARM innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, ARM is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to ARM's success in the global marketplace.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
- Job ID #: 8684
- Job Category: Software Engineering
- Employment Type: Students/Interns/Coops
- Division: Media Processing
- Department: Media Processing - Engineering